Castle United U12's team who had a successful trip to Holycross on Saturday
Holycross B v Castle United
First win on the road for Castle United
Under 12 Div1 30/09 11:00
Holycross B 1 - 3 Castle United

Today saw the U12's get their away season off to a flying start with a 1-3 win over hosts Holycross. A large raucous travelling Castle contingent saw competition for starting places tight but by the time of the full time whistle we were glad of the numbers in reserve.

Castle started the livelier with early chances for both Aaron Doherty-Lyons and the lively Evan Lowe up front. A neat lob by midfielder Michael Barry had the Holycross keeper back pedalling but a touch onto the cross bar was to enough to avert the danger. Holycross did threaten on occasion but excellent work by an industrious back line of Aidan Carroll, Glynn Mulcahy and Sean Barry kept the hosts at bay. However the breakthrough came in the 14th minute when Arron Lyons latched on to a neat ball from the midfield to smash home from close range. Castle pressed on to find a second goal with both Captain Sean Carroll and Aidan Carroll coming close. Holycross continued to threaten and a couple of neat saves from keeper Sean Leahy maintained our slim advantage. However a well delivered Holycross corner had the Castle defence on the back foot and a shot from close range was enough to level the match going in the break.

A few technical adjustments at half time by the Castle management team had Castle again starting the livelier, so when Michael Barry struck a sweet low shot into the bottom corner of the Holycross net just on 17th minute, things looked up for the visitors. The ever industrious Evan Lowe was replaced by Eoin O'Leary who put himself about well up front and nearly had goal for himself late on. Further changes had Shane Tobin coming on for Aidan O'Carroll to maintain a strong back line. Fresh legs from Muireann Irwin to replace the very tired Aaron Doherty-Lyons proved the depth of the beach was needed on a day like today as Holycross refused to lie down. Indeed a free kick late on, just outside the Castle penalty box, was a real worry for the visitors. However the neatly struck free kick was gathered comfortably by keeper Sean Leahy who had a solid game throughout. The icing on the came with 10 minutes to go when a crafty ball over the top by the effervescent Glynn Mulcahy caught everyone on the hop except Sean Carroll who reacted the quickest to nip the ball past the Holycross keeper. 5 minutes later he had another shot off the upright before a heavy knock late on had him replaced by sister Sophie who proved she has the same steel as her big brother! Holycross continued to threaten right to the end but Castle refused to surrender their lead and hung on for a deserved win.

Many thanks to Holycross for a great day out and we look forward to your return visit to Martinstown.

22/11/2017 20:16